Our offering in the motor / VCM market provides you with the ability to push the limits on miniaturization, efficiency and performance. Many of the designs we have created enable our customers to achieve extreme performance in devices ,such as a wire bonding machines and missile guidance systems. Our customers challenge us to design motors and actuators with features such as:
- High force to mass ratio
- High speed moving coil designs
- Harsh environment withstand capability
We have extensive experience in the design and production of:
- rotory motors,
- actuators, and
- voice coil motors.
End uses include semiconductor capital equipment, missile guidance gyros and fin motors, industrial shaker assemblies and factory automation equipment.
When working with our engineering group, you might be asked:
- What market is the device to be used in, such as aerospace, semiconductor or medical?
- What are the performance characteristics such as, space and weight constraints, packaging and electrical characteristics?
Our design engineering group along with process and production engineers will quickly move from computer model to prototype right on to production.
High performance actuator and motor design requires the use of materials that push the limits of material science. Magnet material selection is critical and we can assist in the selection of the best material. Tradeoffs in the selection include temperature, residual induction, coercivity and environment.
- Can I use Nd-Fe-B magnets at high temperature?
- What is the best material for very harsh corrosive environments?
- Can Dexter build Mems devices?
1. Our typical answer is yes, but we don’t like to see this material used beyond about 120 °C.
2. Sm-Co is the first choice for high performance in harsh environments, it also is the material of choice for temperatures up to around 300 °C. Alnico is also a good choice for this environment although the performance is typically lower than Sm-Co.
3. Typically, we do not get into the fabrication of memes machines.